Exporting expenses: an essential act when managing expense reports
Once your expenses have been processed, it's time to complete their lifecycle (or that of your mileage expenses). The export feature allows you to retrieve all the data related to expenses, and then be able to either classify them in your accounts, or send them to your accountant or manager.
Since we are committed to simplifying this daunting task of managing expense reports, we have planned several export formats from your web application and your mobile application!
Export your expenses to the web application
Anyone can export: self-employed, administrators and even employees themselves! However, there are certain exports reserved for advanced plans.
- If you have a Solo account (free version): you can request the export of your expenses via the Expenses
- If you are in Team, Enterprise and Jenji Expert accounts: you can request an export of your expenses via the My ExpensesIf, in addition, you have Manager, Accounting and/or Administrator rights, you can also export your employees' expenses via the My Employees tab.
Export your expenses: instructions for use
The steps are as follows:
- Select the expenses to export.
- Click on Exports, then Standard (CSV, Excel, ZIP, PDF).
- Choose the export format (as you can see below, there are several).
- Name the export and click on OK.
The various export formats available
Excel and CSV exports
All the data associated with an expense is included in these two export formats:
- Date of the expense
- Title of the expense
- Category of the expense
- Total including tax
- VAT if entered
- Total excluding tax
- Currency used
- Country where the expense was entered
- Total including tax converted into the company's main currency
- Payment method used
- Comment, if any
- 'Rebillable' field (Team/Enterprise plans)
- Creation date of the expense
- Distance (km) in the case of a kilometre expense
- Vehicle used in the case of a mileage expense
- Type of vehicle used
- Fiscal horsepower of the vehicle used
- Expense related tags
- List of Internal guests if any
- Additional expense data (custom fields, Team/Enterprise plans)
- Employee Jenji ID (email address)
- Employee first name
- Employee last name
- Employee reference ID if supplied (Team/Enterprise plans)
- Employee group
- Additional expense data relating to emloyees (custom fields, Team/Enterprise plans)
This is the only export that can be modified once you've downloaded it, in particular to manage your VAT if you have not subscribed to our Multi Rate VAT module.
PDF Summary export
As its name suggests, this is the most succinct export, only providing you with the essential information : Date of the expense, name of the Seller, Category, Total excluding VAT, VAT, Total including VAT. At the foot of the export, you can also see the total amount of all the exported expenses.
Export in PDF format with receipts included
The information exported is the same as that of the previous export.However, this also includes the receipts for the exported expenses.
This is the most complete export that you can download. When you download this, you get several files that contain the supporting documents for the expenses exported, classified by year and date. Within these files, you can recover your supporting documents in their original format.
In addition to that, the exports in Excel and CSV format are also included, as shown above. This is the most interesting export if you want to send your expense reports to your accountant or manager without omitting anything.
Specific export for mileage expenses: Mileage Expenses in PDF format
This export is ideal if you only want to export your mileage expenses. The Mileage Expenses PDF export generates a summary report of all the mileage expenses entered in the account, annualised, and in PDF format.
This is the only export in Jenji which is valid vis-à-vis the tax authorities, as the mileage expenses exported in any other format are only an estimate.
Whether on the app.jenji.io web application or on the mobile application, a specific export request for mileage expenses will send you a summary PDF file containing all your trips for the year of your choice.
- You don't have to select trips, just click directly on Reports, then on Mileage PDF.
- Choose the year, then click OK.
Example of Mileage Expenses PDF exports:
Once my exports have been made, where can I find them?
All exports are sent by email. They are also accessible at any time in the Exports > Standard tab.
Export requests are sorted by month, and a sharing link is also offered, as well as a direct download. You may rename or delete an export at any time from the menu available when clicking on the three dots to the right of an export's line.
- Option 1: Use the share link to share the file with a third party. To do this, click on the "copy link" button, and paste the result in an email or in a conversation.
- Option 2: directly download the file by clicking on the download icon.
More detailed exports for advanced plans
For companies (Team and Enterprise plan) that need to manage their employees' expenses, Jenji has provided several other types of exports. It is thus possible to download exports on reimbursement, accounting and re-invoicing.
Once you have approved your employees' expenses, you must then reimburse these. We suggest that you download a reimbursement export.
When you download this export, you get the information in three formats: Excel, CSV and PDF, so you can classify it in your accounts, or send it directly to your accountant.
Accounting export for the TEAM plan
If you are in a Team plan, you have access to an accounting export in Excel Dynamic format. You can thus define your VAT recovery rules, configure your various accounts, etc.
Once your rules are defined, no matter what information will be entered in the expenses, they will take precedence during the export.
The expense is then split into three lines:
- VAT if recoverable.
The various debtor and creditor accounts are also indicated. In addition, various accounting integrations are offered with this solution.
Accounting export for the Enterprise plan
For the Enterprise plan, the accounting export and the accounting configuration can be personalised in order to have a format identical to the format accepted by your ERP.
The last type of export, available for both the Team plan and the Enterprise plan, is the re-invoicing export.
This enables you to integrate into your accounts the expenses that must be re-invoiced to a service provider. Re-invoicing exports are available either in PDF format or in summary PDF format.
Export your expenses to a mobile phone
Two types of export are available:
- Expenses : in CSV, Excel, or ZIP format (supporting documents + data), summary PDF, or PDF with supporting documents included.
- Mileage expenses: in PDF format, to be selected for a specific year.
Regardless of the export selected, this will be sent by email (an internet connection is therefore required). Thanks to our synchronisation between the various platforms, you can also find them on your web application, in the Exports tab.
Export expenses from mobile phone
- From your Dashboard, access your Profile by clicking on the icon at the top right.
- In the Export section, click on Expenses.
- Select the desired period by choosing the start day, then the end day (take care in this step, as the default period is that of the current month).
- Select the desired format.
- Click on Export.
Export mileage expenses from mobile phone
- Access your Profile by clicking on the icon at the top right.
- In the Export section, click on Mileage expenses.
- Select the desired year.
- Click on Export.